why, hello there!

It's always a pleasure to have a visitor in my blog. Please have a stroll, make yourself at home, and share your thoughts if you like.


April 21, 2012

ataa - september 11, 2008

After a series of one of the numbest points of my life, my wish to face a so-called-challenge is granted. An Australian boy with ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) came knockin' on my class' door. For the first few weeks, he seemed ok. A bit rebellious, but followed my instructions allright. It didn't last long, though. 

The past 2 weeks have been a living hell! The sweet looking boy was a wolf in disguise. He didn't put any effort in paying attention. He would either lay his head on the table or shut his eyes while making silly noises. I wondered, is my class THAT boring that he couldn't stand to sit still? I tried doing games, but he ended getting too excited that he laughed uncontrollably all the way up to the end of the session. The next day, I tried to be firm. But I couldn't help myself, I lost it. I got so temperamental that I said "Fine! Do what you want to do!" and that boy just walked out from the class. Lorrrd....

After some discusssions with my colleagues and analyzing how his mum treats him at home, with the different (more loose) curriculum he had back in Aussie, and his own awareness that he has been labeled as a child with ADHD, I have come to realize that he is just a child that's crying for help. He must've hated me for taking his time when he was supposed to have play time (which was the only thing he aims for in school) since that would mean that I'm taking his previlege to do the single thing that he enjoys doing. Who likes to study anyway? I didn't when I was his age...and ataa here, with a chemical substance in his brain that makes him unable not to move all the time, was forced not to enjoy the nature of his being. I am aware of that now, but he remains a challenge for me until I can make him work in a way I want him to with the learning style that works FOR him.

I will not stop trying...  

No comments:

Post a Comment