why, hello there!

It's always a pleasure to have a visitor in my blog. Please have a stroll, make yourself at home, and share your thoughts if you like.


July 11, 2012

Jakarta's Governor Election 2012


Today (11/7) is the Jakarta’s Governor Election Day. Since my house is mapped as non-Jakarta, I’m not entitled to make a vote. Today’s election result, however, may give an impact on the politics and development of the area I’m living in. The event has successfully raised names (even unfamiliar ones who suddenly pop up  without a trace of capable track record whatsoever) and stirred arguments in social networks.

Rumour has it that the strongest candidate is the same person who governed the capital city in the last 5 years. Each of the candidates make their promises for a better Jakarta; all of which are too good to be true. I’ve been living all my life in Jakarta, and I swear the best period of government was when Soeharto ruled the country – sure, he’s had his flaws...but what the difference now? Politicians, Chinese mob, hipocrisy...same old, same old; even worse.    

I can’t lie, I’m pessimistic about the whole “election”. Let’s say that the so called clean-independent-candidates reach victory. I still don’t think that they’re strong enough to fight the mainstream politics...merrily polluted with corruption, collution and nepotism. We’re effed up.

Living in Jakarta is a hassle. It really is. The flood, sanitation problems, poor  transport, sprouting malls that literally eat up green spaces for water reservoirs. It’s sad, really. Knowing that each time I get out of the house, I’ll have to face traffic jams and possibility of either bag-snatchers, sexual harassments or pukes on buses. Huhu..

Of course, there are brighter sides of the Big Durian. Being the capital city of Indonesia, there’s nothing we can’t find in this city. Even Malaysians and Durians love to explore Mangga Dua, Asemka and Tanah Abang for affordable nifty clothes as well as quirky knick-knacks. And Indonesian food, they’re like no other. It’s the absolute homesick-factor for all Indonesians abroad. Vast and crowded, there’s everything for everyone.


It’s funny how the irony of love and hate for Jakarta orchestrate in my mind. To be frank, I dont give a sh*t on whoever wins. However, deep down I still that romantic hope that he who wins will actually make Jakarta a better place.  Luscious green parks, well-maintained public transports, condusive pedestrian walks and clean police officers, please? No matter how long it takes and how many more revolutions ahead, I hope I’d still be alive to enjoy it with my children (and grandchildren). Amen.

1 comment: