why, hello there!

It's always a pleasure to have a visitor in my blog. Please have a stroll, make yourself at home, and share your thoughts if you like.


October 15, 2013

Bangkok Trip Day 2

On this day, Saturday, we went to Bangkok’s famous weekend market, Chatuchak (or Jatujak, as the Thai say it). A and I went in the morning, around 9 am, took the BTS from Asok to Mo Chit. From there, we walked across the Chatuchak park and began our adventure. I got myself a character tee, among other Disney and Sesame Street characters (Mickey, Minnie, Tinkerbell, Elmo, Big Bird, you name it...they got it)  – A confirmed that the exact same tees can also be found in Disneyland with, of course, a different price. I’m guessing that Bangkok is the tee supplier for Disneyland. I chose the Goofy character because it resembles my goofiness :p while A got a Marie tee (the white female-cat with pink ribbon)...two for 300 baht!


I also got some vintage shirts (denim for me and 2 for my nieces) for 100 baht each. Along the way, we got ourselves some snacks: quail egg sunny side up with salty soya sauce, (halal) beef sausage and some orange juice to drink. I couldn’t believe how big the market was...and how clean the inside of the market – people were responsible enough to carry their rubbish until they found a rubbish bin or somekind.

We had lunch at a decent restaurant in one of the alleys of Chatuchak. I had Pad Thai – served with an orchid on the plate, how pretty is that? J A had rice with fried chicken wings. Yummo..both of them...especially with ice cold P*psi cola to gulp. Grateful.

Vegetarian Pad Thai with Omelette

Rice with Fried Chicken Wing

Following the wonderful Chatuchak experience, we headed to Platinum, an ‘ITC Jakarta-look-alike’ if you ask me. We bought striped cotton dresses. Green for me, red for A. We were only able to walk around the clothing section due to limited time. After Platinum, we went to Central World mall (if I’m not mistaken) and had early dinner at ThaiSiam. We ordered Som Tum (papaya salad – with chili sauce and cashew nuts on top). Apparently, the Thai enjoy their papaya salad HOT and SPICY. It really woke us up, the surprising taste of hotness. Hahahaa... Make sure if you want to order Som Tum, ask the chef to make it ‘mild’ or ‘ with no chili’. But it’s delicious anyway...if you like spicy food.

After the ‘revelation’, we visited Siam Paragon (similar to Plaza Indonesia in Jakarta), Siam Square (similar to FX Mall) and Siam Center (the cheaper version of the previous malls – all three located in the same area. Then, we went to the hotel. Again, in the spirit of YOLO (You Only Live Once), I went to Terminal 21, just across the hotel, while A went back to the hotel. Later at night, we grabbed KFC for take away. I was surprised that the waiter was deaf, and she got a special menu with sign language; if we want ‘wing’ or ‘thigh’ chicken, just point at the picture. Aww...so admirable...even the disable are also given the opportunity to work and earn money. We ended the night by snacking in a 24-hour hawker food stall across the hotel. Seafood salad and ice milk tea were on the table while we discussed the wonders of Bangkok as it has become a structured and sophisticated metropolis way ahead of Jakarta. To think that both cities are similar in so many ways, yet Jakarta is so behind in mass transportation L If only Jakarta has such kind of BTS...JTS...if only my wish can come true in the next decade at least, I would be so grateful. For my future kids, for the elderly, for a better Jakarta :’)
Siam Center

Terminal 21 - just across the hotel


2 comments:

  1. buat pemakan segala kaya gw, liat jalan2 lu di bangkok sama hongkong bikin mata gw jereng.. babinya mana babinya..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Babinya di kaldu sm minyaknya doang vi..haha..sorry to disappoint u :p

    ReplyDelete