why, hello there!

It's always a pleasure to have a visitor in my blog. Please have a stroll, make yourself at home, and share your thoughts if you like.


October 15, 2013

Bangkok Trip Day 1

The Bandung girl and I made a pact to meet up on Friday morning. Unfortunately, she decided to do another agenda...so yeah, I went on executing plan A (visit temples across Chao Praya river) by myself.

I dressed up in long trousers and long-sleeves at first, , but considering the intolerably hot-humid weather, I changed to T-shirt + shorts (A told me that it’s okay to wear  knee-length shorts to temples – convinced I didn’t have to change to longer top and bottom, I decided not to take extra ‘decent’ clothes).

I took the BTS from Asok station to Siam, and interchanged to Saphan Taksin – where I took the boat across the Chao Praya river to see the Grand Palace and Wat Pho (where the famous 45 metres ‘Reclining Buddha’ lies). I made it...by myself! Am so proud of myself :’)

When I entered the Grand Palace gate, a lady shouted in Thai while looking at my direction. She pointed at my ‘knee-length shorts’. Well, apparently, it’s too short. As it is a sacred place, I had no other choice but to deposit 200 baht and borrow a Thai Sarong. Met an Indonesian teenager boy who wore shorts that are a tad too short as well :p


Me with the borrowed sarong...looking Thai enough? :)

In front of the grandiose Buddha

To enter the Grand Palace, tourists must pay 500 baht – while Thai can enter freely because it is, in fact, their praying shrine. Dear readers, please beware of ‘no photography’ and ‘no video’ in some of the temples – or else, the temple officer would grab your camera and/or video and delete your pictures, especially in the Emerald Buddha (Wat Phra Kaew). I didn’t pay much attention on the signs, so an officer actually grabbed my camera and forcefully deleted the pics. I get the gesture, but I also got a bit upset that I said “I didn’t know, okay..you don’t just take other people’s property like that!” – not that he understood a word I said. But yeah, point taken..it’s not a tourist attraction, it’s a holy worship place. Should be more careful and empathetic next time. Anyway, when I returned the sarong, the officer-lady said, “If you don’t speak, you look like Thai, you know...” I giggled, and an ‘a-ha moment’ just hit me.

My next destination was Wat Pho, the temple of ‘Reclining Buddha’. This time, I decided to take the entrance for the ‘Thai’ instead of ‘Foreign Visitors’....and I got in effortlessly. Yeayness! When I entered the temple where the ‘sleeping Buddha’ situated, I made a ‘wai’ gesture – you put your hands together and bow your head slightly as an appreciation to the Buddha. I immediately got goosebumps..the energy in that room was intense. I believe that places where people pray and give gratitude (like Ka’bah for the moslems) are the ones with the most amazing energies...I almost cried. I took some pictures there and stepped out.


The Magnificent Reclining Buddha

Its Smaller Version

People giving donation along the bowls from one end to the other

Afterwards, I decided to end my temple-journey due to the excruciating hunger after a long walk under the sun. Wat Arun had to wait for next trip, I guess J I headed back to Saphan Taksin with an orange-flagged boat (20 baht) and rushed to the National Stadium station (MBK Center). I skipped Jim Thompson House and BACC because it was already 2 pm. I tried vegetarian food at the food court on 6th floor: brown rice, steamed broccoli and some kind of tofu with green beans. I also had mango sticky rice for dessert (with a portion for 2 *oops). Then, I browsed the mall and got my nieces super cute owl sling bags for 100 bahts each and fridge magnets for my sister.



Things they sell at MBK Center

My vegetarian lunch..quite tasty though

Mango Sticky Rice - just gotta try it

At around 3.45, A arrived. She got 2 iphone cases for 200 baht each. Good bargain, indeed J After that, we took the BTS to Saphan Taksin (again) and crossed the Chao Praya River for Asiatique by boat (for free). We met A’s friends there, Selly and Maya. Asiatique is a place where we can find small shops and boutiques with a giant-wheel ride that costs 250 baht. We can also watch lady boys performance, the Calypso Cabaret for 1.200 baht – I wanted to watch it, but it was full booked. Instead, I shopped for some Birkenstock sandals (replica) for the nephews, Thai printed bags for the in-laws, elephant-printed pouches for my girls in Jkt and a pair of Havaianas flip-flops (also replica). I spent quite a lot for souvenirs...should be smarter and wiser next time. Optional souvenirs: dry food! One more thing, self-note: Do Not Bargain unless you are 100% sure that you want to buy the product, or else, the seller will so furious and can be so mean. Think of B*tak or P*dang sellers at Melawai, Blok M or other street sellers. Yes, you’ve got the point.

Asiatique Riverfront - charming place

Fun with new friends atAsiatique

To end the night, we had late supper at a seafood place called Fish something, I forgot. Had spaghetti olio aglio with salted fish and lemon juice, perfect combination, yumm! And that’s a wrap. We went back to the hotel by taxi...ready for a restful sleep after a packed (yet exciting) day.

No comments:

Post a Comment